"Right-hand swing! Left-hand swing! Two-hand swing! Do-si-do!"
One of the daily activities at Sam Davis Youth Camp is instruction in period dances. This is a new experience for many of the young folks--one they sometimes have to be coaxed into--but by the end of the week most will say it was their favorite part of camp.
Our family got started back in 2o06 when our oldest son got "bit" by the dancing bug. This boy who previously had zero interest in the subject was now begging for opportunities to dance. The chances were few and far between at first, but now we attend dances at least once a month. Our son often helps with the dance instruction.
One of the great things about these dances is that they are “social dances”—meaning they are danced as groups rather than couples, and are fun for all ages. Our six-year old, who has been dancing since she was 3, can do most of them.
Dances range from the simple to complex. Some are slow and very elegant while some are jig speed. One of the best-loved dances is the Virginia Reel. If you’ve never seen it, check out this clip I found on you-tube:
Besides the camps, we are blessed to have several regular dances in our area that are sponsored by local home-school groups. Some are casual, others are formal balls where many of the young ladies and gentlemen dress in Regency or 1860’s period costume.
If you’d like to give it a try, look for clubs in your area that offer contra dancing or square dancing. It’s great exercise and a fun family activity. Plus you meet lots of nice folks. Here’s a link to the Traditional Music & Dance Society in Springfield, Missouri to give you an idea of what it’s all about:
Put on your dancing shoes and give it a try!
With two bad knees and a bad back, if I tried to dance like that, I'd hurt something. ;)
ReplyDeleteGreat post Mrs Farnum, I really enjoyed it! (which I have enjoyed all of your posts so far.)
ReplyDeleteI agree that dancing IS great fun... and I don't know how anyone could not enjoy it!
Its great to see you on here, BTW! =)
I used to love square dancing when we were kids, Trish. It's something I remember fondly. I haven't done it for a long while, and with the knee I can't right now, but your post has made me want to explore it again.
ReplyDelete